Sunday, January 4, 2009

Advice for young adults, part 2

Thank you Beth, Susan, Barbara and Rachel.
I really appreciated your input and perspectives. It reinforces and adds a lot to my own understanding of the importance of experimenting, whether with classes, volunteering or trying on different jobs. You also countered the myth that you are supposed to know early on, and instead, drove home the idea of not deciding too soon or prematurely; in spite of the collective pressure to do so. The idea of dealing with adversity as a strengthening agent, I think is counter intuitive, but accurate. My only concern is about the timing, with young adults newly on their own. Chapter 9 in Barbara Sher's book, I Could Do Anything If I Knew What It Was, addresses this beautifully. Finally, the idea of sharing my perspective on the qualities I see in them, I think is important. I did share with one and he lit up. I think it is important to do this in a way that emphasizes that I am offering a perspective and not THE truth, so it leaves room for their own discovery of the qualities that are important to them. I know it is really valuable and important to each of them to really be seen and respected. Thank you again.

No comments: